Source: original photograph in PGPT archive
Source: Photograph in PGPT archive
The nave was the first part of the building to be finished, in 1894, so this photograph must date after that. This view is of the East end, on the junction of Unthank Road and Earlham Road. The surrounding wall has yet to be built.
Source Photograph in PGPT archive
The group is posing in front of the ‘Window’ built by Henry Trevor as a folly in the garden (Guide book 2009 p34). It was found in fragments during the restoration and restored in the 1990s. There are examples in other Victorian gardens of ecclesiastical fragments, taken from churches when they were ‘restored’ being used as rose arches in gardens. An angel sculpture on the right hand support may well have been produced in a funeral mason’s workshop.
214 total views, 1 views today