Maps and Plans

Date: 1830
Source: plan of the city of Norwich surveyed by Millard and Manning
The prison features prominently on this 1830 plan. It had only been completed in 1826 (cf PGPT229) and so Henry Trevor could have had little hope in 1856 when he built his house that it would ever be removed from his view. However, it was replaced by St John’s R.C church (later cathedral) from 1890.
Date: 1842
Source: ‘The Plantation Garden’ by Sheila Adam, UEA dissertation 1996
This copy of the tithe map (1842) illustrates the fact that Joseph Gray, Henry Trevor’s father-in-law, owned considerable property in the area of Heigham Grove and Chester Place. At this time there were 2 buildings on the site of the Plantation, and the cliff of the quarry can be seen.
Date: 1873
Source: as PGPT341
This is a copy of the map compiled by A.W.Morant, City of Norwich Surveyor. The red outline illustrates the area of the Heigham Estate bought from the Steward family by Henry Trevor in 1877, used for a time as garden land, then sold for building plots in Clarendon Rd in 1897.

Unfortunately, the map’s accuracy cannot be relied upon e.g. there are too many houses shown in Chester Place; so that the features shown in the Plantation garden may or not be accurate. It seems unlikely that there were trees rather than a lawn in the centre.

Date: 1883 with later additions
Source: ‘The Plantation Garden’ by Sheila Adam, UEA dissertation, 1996
The 1883 O.S map has been used as a basis, with coloured outlines added to emphasise the comparative size of neighbouring gardens. Thus the Plantation itself is outlined in green, and an area to the south which Henry Trevor owned for a few years from 1877 in red; The Elms (cf PGPT010), owned by Henry Trevor’s stepson, is included in the area outlined in orange; The Grove, owned 1841-1862 by Henry Trevor’s father-in-law,Joseph Gray (PGPT158), is outlined in pink (cf PGPT364/5); and Heighamgrove house in blue (cf PGPT363).
Date 1897
Source This map was used in the auction particulars when Henry Trevor’s estate was sold in 1897. It was based on the O.S. map of 1883/4
This is the northern section of the 1883/4 map. The entrance to the garden lies further North, leading off the Earlham Rd.Henry Trevor’s residence, The Plantation (), is prominent, and the cottage of the gardener (cf PGPT034) is labelled. Several glasshouses, including the Palm house, are marked by crosshatching, and 2 other roofed buildings which may be the fruit store and gardener’s office listed in the 1897 auction particulars.
Date 1897
Source See PGPT054
This is the southern section of the map shown in PGPT054. Notable features include the fountain (top right), the glass propagating house (crosshatched), steps, paths and flowerbeds. The number ‘1’ is the lot number of this property at the auction and the names on the right hand side are the owners of the houses in Unthank Rd whose gardens abutted the boundary of the Plantation Garden. The Baptist church of 1897 became a United Reform church in the late 20c.
Source: Sale Particulars of the sale of Heigham Grove House in 1924
The northern part of the large gardens, described in the particulars as ‘Plantations with winding walks’, is the only area which still exists as open space; all the rest has been built over by blocks of flats. The tower (see PGPT362) is marked on the east wall, about half way, and is described in the particulars as ‘Ivy mantled clock tower with striking clock, stained glass panels and staircase to top’.

This plan shows a very similar arrangement to the 1883 O.S. map. In 1854 Chas Winter, boot and shoe manufacturer, was the owner. Horticultural shows were held in his grounds. The estate was sold in 1924 for £2725. In 1925 the City Council bought it for £3200 and converted it into the City Maternity Home.

Date 1883/4
Source O.S. map
This map has been invaluable as an aid to the restoration of the garden. It has proved so accurate that when the flowerbeds in the main lawn, which had been grassed over in the early 20c, were being restored, measurements taken from this map were found to tally exactly with the evidence on the ground of the position of those beds.
PGPT073 and 074
Date: 1908 with annotations of 1919,1934 and 1950
Source: Plan in PGPT archive
This plan of the Plantation, Earlham Rd, was made by the City of Norwich Waterworks Co for P. Evershed Esq. The title also says ‘for the YMCA St Giles St’. The reason for that has not yet been explained.

The water supply for the whole premises is shown, including the supply from the mains to the fountain and various taps, the furthest being at the South end, at the top of the Italian terrace.

Date: December 9, 1939
Source: Eastern Daily Press
This plan of tunnels underneath Earlham Rd and St John’s Catholic cathedral is said to date back to 1824. At that time workmen digging a well suddenly found ‘a cavern’ 35 feet below the surface. Exploration revealed a series of tunnels, which were opened to the public and given jovial names such as Discovery St and Royal Arch (the latter adopted in early 2000s by the developers of a sheltered housing complex). On this plan the original sketch of streets was overlaid with dotted lines showing a conjectural relationship between tunnels and modern streets.

No one can be sure of the original date or purpose of the tunnels. ‘John Bond 1571’ was found carved into the wall and gives us a clue. Mining for flints has been one suggestion, digging out chalk another. We have always assumed that the quarry in which the Plantation garden was created was formed by excavating for flints and chalk.

Date 1990s
Source Plan prepared to illustrate guided walks.
The ultimate source for this plan was the O.S 1883/4 map (PGPT082)
That map was used by the auctioneers, Spelmans, when they advertised the sale of Henry Trevor’s properties in 1897. On their map the names of the owners of the adjacent properties on the Earlham and Unthank roads were shown. In turn that map was copied and numbers added in the 20c to identify various features for visitors, and dotted lines drawn to indicate the variety of circular walks which Henry Trevor had designed to add interest to his garden.
Date: 1990s
Source: Publicity leaflet
In the late 1990s it was decided that a leaflet would be useful to distribute to hotels, the station, tourist offices around the county etc. It proved very popular.

This map was based, by permission, on Geographers’ A-Z and O.S.

PGPT343 and 344
Date: 1995
Source: Diagrams for volunteer guides
PGPT343 is a copy of the 1883 O.S. map on which has been marked ,in green, the numerous beds which would have needed planting with perennials or summer bedding in Henry Trevor’s time. PGPT344 (duplicate of PGPT098) indicates the various circular routes which Henry Trevor had devised to provide interesting walks round his garden.
Date: 1960s
Source: O.S. map with later additions

The outlines of earlier gardens (see PGPT291) make it clear how many houses were built in the 20c on the former large gardens of the 19c.

Date: August 2007
Source: Photograph by volunteer
Several beds in the garden, including 3 on the lower lawn, are planted twice each year with bedding plants in a modified version of Henry Trevor’s original ‘carpet bedding’. In 2007 this central ‘wheel bed’ had a central plant of , with spokes formed by ophiopogon and triangles of pink and white forget-me-nots. A box edging surrounded the whole.

Henry Trevor’s aim was that there should be attractive views down on to the bedding from the upper walks he created around the sloping sides ( see PGPT098 for plan with walks marked).

 334 total views,  2 views today