Events Features Where to find us History Home
 Our Gallery The Trust Membership and
      Contact information
Headlines Archive Index
Access Wedding Photography Application Form Teachers Links
The Plantation Garden Archive

Numbers 51 to 100 of the pictures in our archive - in numerical order (That is, the order in which they were scanned)

PGPT051
Date: 1897
Source:  Auction sale particulars, as PGPT008

This photograph shows 'The Beeches', which Henry Trevor built in the 1860s between his own dwelling house and the Earlham Rd. The conservatory, garden and thatched summerhouse (cf PGPT047/8) are visible to the left of the house. Henry Trevor let the property to tenants. In 1897 the rent was 75 p.a.
In the early 1980s the property was leased to a Mr Hill, who converted it and the neighbouring Plantation house into a hotel.
PGPT052
Date 1940?
Source Unknown

This aerial view looks North, and shows the Cathedral of St John the Baptist top right, and Chester Place (which Henry Trevor built) bottom left.
PGPT053
Date 1992
Source photograph by volunteer

3 young volunteers are shown uncovering one of the many drains alongside the path in the garden. It is notable that neither the flower bed along the edge of the Palm house lawn nor the round bed have yet been restored.
PGPT054
Date: 1897
Source: the map that was used by Spelmans in the auction particulars when Henry Trevor's estate was sold in 1897. It was based on the O.S. map of 1883/4

This is the northern section of the 1883/4 map. The entrance to the garden lies further north, leading off the Earlham Rd .Henry Trevor's residence, The Plantation, (cf PGPT067), is prominent, and the 'cottage' of the gardener (cf PGPT034) is labelled. Several glasshouses, including the Palm House, are marked by crosshatching, and there are 2 other roofed buildings which may be the fruit store and gardener's office listed in the 1897 auction particulars.
PGPT055
Date: 1897
Source: See PGPT054

This is the southern section of the map shown in PGPT054. Notable features include the fountain (top right), the glass propagating house (crosshatched), steps, paths and flowerbeds. The number '1' is the lot number of this property at the auction and the names on the right hand side are the owners of the houses in Unthank Rd whose gardens abutted the boundary of the Plantation Garden. The Baptist church of 1897 became a United Reform church in the late 20c.
PGPT056
Date 1897
Source Detail of PGPT001

This enlargement shows clearly the propagating house (described in the auction particulars as 'span-roof.....24ft by 10ft), with the row of finials along the top, an open door and plants standing on the shelf inside. There is also a cold frame behind. On the pedestals around the fountain urns shaped like tree trunks can be seen, and fragments of these have been found in the garden.
PGPT057
Date: 2007
Source: photograph by volunteer

In 2007 it was decided that it would be very useful to have a shelter in the yard at the entrance to the garden, to provide some protection for volunteers - both those who gathered on Tuesdays to work in the garden and those who collected entrance fees for various events.

The design was based on a drawing (no.653) in the 1898 catalogue of Boulton and Paul. The drawing was of a shelter in front of a stable (PGPT095). The maker was Richard Horne (cf PGPT094). Oak was the timber used. The photograph show the components before assembly on site.
PGPT058
Date: 1926
Source: Green family album

G.Colman Green, son of George Green (see PGPT059), produced an album with photographs, newspaper cuttings and his own sketches to illustrate the life of his father. This sketch, signed and dated. is inscribed 'entrance to the Plantation, Earlham Road, Norwich', and a sentence added at the bottom says 'My father entertained many well-known people at this house including Lord Oxford (Mr Asquith) also many Ministers of Religion'
PGPT059
Date: 1920s
Source: Green family album

George Green held the lease of the Plantatation from 1919, when he became Mayor, until his death in 1928. He and Mrs Green played a prominent part in various aspects of Norwich public life, and used the garden as a background for many occasions as can be seen in other photographs, e.g.PGPT060). This is one of several photographs of the couple in various parts of the garden.
PGPT060
Date: 1920s
Source: photograph in PGPT archive

As mentioned in PGPT059 George Green used the garden for various events. On this occasion he seems to be entertaining the staff of his shops ('Clothier and Hatter') in Norwich and Yarmouth. Everyone in the picture is wearing a hat except Mr and Mrs Green!

The wall in the background is the 'medieval' wall (cf PGPT307-14).
PGPT061
Date: 1919/20
Source: photograph in PGPT archive

Another group photograph (cf PGPT060) recording an occasion when George Green welcomed a group of visitors into the garden. Perhaps these were ministers attending a Baptist conference. George Green is wearing the mayoral chain of office.

The group is posing in front of the 'Window' built by Henry Trevor as a folly in the garden (cf PGPT096). It was found largely broken in 1980 and restored in the 1990s. There are examples in other Victorian gardens of ecclesiastical fragments, taken from churches during 19c 'restorations',  being used as rose arches or decoration.
An angel sculpture on the right hand support (PGPT399) may well have been produced in a Victorian funeral mason's workshop.
PGPT062
Date: 1920s
Source: photograph in PGPT archives from Green Family

Mr and Mrs Green are shown posing in the garden (cf PGPT 059) on the steps between the remains of the propagating house on the left and the 'Window' (cf PGPT 061) on the right.

Of the other sculptural decorations shown here, only the gargoyle to the right of Mr Green is presently on display in the garden. It was in fact given back to the PGPT in 2011, after spending many years in gardens owned by a descendant of Mr Green.
PGPT063
Date: 1919/20
Source: detail from photograph in Green family album

In the family album. George Colman Green, son of George Green, has written 'The North Elmham Naval Boys at the Plantation, 1919-20' On the same page is a photograph of the boys in their sailor hats with the Lady Mayoress (Mrs Green). She can be seen sitting in the background here. In the album also is a photgraph of George Green standing on the upper lawn with a group of more than 20 school boys 'from Bethnal Green, London', who were visiting the Plantation.

The balustrading and walls of the Italian terrace rise up behind the seated figures. The Gothic alcove (cf PGPT103) covered with ivy, can be seen at the left behind 2 seated figures, and there seem to be the remains of a large curved window (?) abutting the terrace wall in the centre.

PGPT064

cf PGPT012

PGPT065
Date: 1928
Source: Boulton & Paul catalogue (Rustic Work and log Cabins), NRO

We do not know whether the rustic summerhouse in the Plantation (see PGPT415) was made by Boulton & Paul, but this illustration from a later catalogue indicates that they had produced similar elaborate cabins, and as Henry Trevor purchased his Palm House from that firm it is quite possible that he also bought his summerhouse from them.
PGPT066
Date: 1909
Source: Boulton and Paul 1909 catalogue

This photograph of the interior of the Palm House, built in 1895, at Carrow House, owned by the Colman family (of Colman's mustard fame), gives us the best idea we can have of the interior of the Palm House in the Plantation (PGPT003). We know from the 1897 auction particulars that the Plantation Palm House was fitted with a fountain,as shown here in the Carrow one.
Work began on the restoration of the Carrow House conservatory in 2004 (cf article EDP 13.05.2004, which reproduces a Boulton & Paul drawing of the outside).
Fragments of a Doulton fountain, very similar to the fountain in this photograph, were found on the lawn of the Beeches in the 1980s (PGPT189), and it appears in 20c. photographs taken in that area (PGPT014).
PGPT067
Date 1897
Source Auction particulars, as in PGPT001

This shows the Plantation house which Henry Trevor completed in 1856 (date on Chimney) He was granted a 75 year lease of the land (a former quarry) from 1855, at a ground rent of 66 p.a.
 
A condition of the lease was that he was to build a house, by the spring of 1857,  spending not less than 2000 - a very considerable sum at a time when a terrace house might cost 100. The style is firmly classical, with columned portico, pilasters at the corners. and pediment over the central bay. The quality of the building work is high, with fine pointing between the 'white' bricks (now grey). The windows of the upper storey have 12 panes, while on the ground floor the sash windows are glazed with plate glass.

The photograph shows the garden laid out in the popular mid 19c style with beds and edges closely planted to form a 'carpet' of colour for the summer.
PGPT068
     
PGPT069, 070, 071
Date 1920s
Source Green family album

These are duplicates of PGPT022
PGPT072
Date 19c
Source Boulton & Paul catalogues, 1898 and others

The interest of this drawing of one pattern of cast iron cresting which Boulton & Paul could supply with its conservatories is that this design can be seen clearly along the edge of the Palm House in PGPT001.
  
PGPT073, 074
Date: 1908 with annotations of 1919,1934 and 1950
Source: plan in PGPT archive

This plan of the Plantation, Earlham Rd, was made by the City of Norwich Waterworks Co for P. Evershed Esq. who was the tenant of the Plantation in the early 20c.The title also says 'for the YMCA St Giles St'. The reason for that has not yet been explained.
The water supply for the  whole premises is shown, including the supply from the mains to the fountain and various taps, the furthest being at the south end, at the top of the Italian terrace.
   PGPT075, 078
Date 1883
Source Boulton & Paul catalogue

Boulton & Paul produced a wide range of glass houses, taking advantage of their popularity in the second half of the 19c after the impression made by the Great Exhibition in 1851. Here 3 designs are shown: upper left, a 3/4 span for a Norwich customer, also sold to other customers in Norfolk and Sussex: lower left, a 'very pleasing design', which won a silver medal at a Paris exhibition in 1878. The curved design of the roof and pointed tops of the windows of this conservatory are very similar to the Plantation Palm House (PGPT003). A detailed description of the house on the right also gives materials, building methods and prices. From this we can estimate that Henry Trevor must have paid well over 200 for his Palm House and Winter Garden.
   PGPT076, 077
Date 1883 and 1898
Source Boulton & Paul catalogues

On the left, a 'check end saddle boiler', of interest because the 1897 auction particulars inform us that the Palm House was heated 'by two saddle boilers in an underground stoke-hole, approached by a glazed entrance, and with brick flue and chimney, well screened by trees'. The glazed entrance can be seen to the right of the Palm House in PGPT003, and was reproduced in 2000 (see PGPT402). The large underground stoke-hole still exists, not yet made safe for public viewing, and the flue has been unearthed on the bank to the east. Each boiler shown here, with fittings, cost about 15.
On the right, a variety of designs for garden chairs, wood and iron, rustic and plain, mostly costing less than 1.
PGPT079
Date: 15th October 1842
Source: The Norwich Mercury newspaper

This advertisement was placed in the newspaper by Henry Trevor as he opened his shop in Exchange Street (then called Post-Office Street) which ran from the market square down to the river. The salesmanship is skilful: the wide range of products, their modernity, high quality and low prices, combined with promises of personal attention to a wide range of customers over a wide area are all such enticements as might be offered today. Today, though, a customer would not expect to have to read so many words in an initial approach! Henry Trevor also differs from modern practice with his strict insistence on ready money only!
Henry Trevor (PGPT106) was only 23 when he set up shop on his own account. As the advertisement says, he had been an assistant to Mr Gray (PGPT158), whose shop was nearby. Mr Gray was happy to support Henry who was about to marry his eldest daughter, the widow Mrs. Mary Page (PGPT159)
The business was very successful and it was in part the profit from this which enabled Henry to create the Plantation garden.
PGPT080
Date: 21st July 2005
Source: photograph by visitor

The Plantation Garden Preservation Trust (PGPT) was formed in1980 with the purpose of restoring the garden, then in a ruinous state, to its appearance in 1897. The planting scheme shown here was part of the celebration of 25 years of The Trust, as was an exhibition at the Assembly House, a fete, a special edition of Ex Fonte etc.
PGPT081
Date: April 2006
Source: photograph by volunteer

This view of the 'Gothic' alcove shows its state before restoration work was undertaken ( cf PGPT091). Planting schemes for the rockworks have also been carried out by Marj Wilson and Lesley Cunneen (cf PGPT276).
PGPT082
Date 1883/4
Source O.S. map

This map has been invaluable as an aid to the restoration of the garden. It has proved so accurate that when the flowerbeds in the main lawn, which had been grassed over in the early 20c, were being restored, measurements taken from this map were found to tally exactly with the evidence on the ground of the position of those beds.
PGPT083
Date: May 2006
Source: photograph by volunteer

A typical sight of regular volunteers (Dubravka, Jill, Janet) at work on a Tuesday morning.
Of interest in the background is the tree fern, donated by a visitor to the garden. It was decided to accept the gift, although there is no evidence that tree ferns were planted in the garden in the 19c, because they were a very popular plant in Victorian gardens - Heligan has many examples. Unfortunately the very cold winter 2010/11 damaged this specimen badly, but 2012 seemed to start its recovery.
The 'blind arcading' built into the terrace wall behind the volunteer workers is a good illustration of the ecclesiastical appearance of many structures in the garden. Below the arcading is a niche which resembles nothing so much as a 'holy water stoup' - an unlikely choice for an ardent Baptist!
PGPT084
Date: July 2009
Source: photograph by volunteer

In the 1990s a decision was taken to set up an 'honesty box' in the hope that visitors to the garden would pay an entrance fee even when there was no volunteer to take their money. To the surprise of many, this soon became an important source of income. The first box was modern and ordinary, but Bruce Adam, then chairman, made enquiries of the Post Office, who kindly donated a Victorian box. A pillar was built to house it, using materials found in the garden.
Volunteers have emptied it every day after the occasion when a thief broke the box to reach the money.
PGPT085
Date: early 1980s
Source: photograph by Allan Sewell, a pioneer volunteer

The photograph shows Bryony Nierop-Reading, who organised the first meeting, in Norwich City Library, of people who would be interested in starting the restoration of the Plantation garden. She had been alerted to the existence of the garden by a midwife who attended the birth of her baby (the baby is invisible but held in a sling on Bryony's chest).
As a result of that meeting, the Plantation Garden Preservation Trust (PGPT) was formed. Details of the progress of the restoration are best followed in 'Ex Fonte' (from the fountain). The fountain was adopted as a symbol for the garden from the formation of the Trust.
The photograph gives a vivid impresssion of the overgrown state of the garden and the formidable task that lay ahead for the early volunteers.
PGPT086
Duplicate
PGPT087
Date: 1919/20
Source: photograph in PGPT archive copied from Green family album

When George Green became Lord Mayor in 1919 he wanted to live in an establishment suitable for that office. He settled upon the Plantation, and lived there until his death in 1929. This photograph shows him and Mrs Green setting out in the Mayoral carriage. George Green was a man who had played a considerable part in public affairs - Alderman, member of Board of Guardians, Port Commissioner at Yarmouth, Magistrate, Chair of Sewerage committee. He merits a long entry in 'Citizens of No Mean City' (1909).
PGPT088
Date Spring 2008
Source Photograph by volunteer

 

PGPT089
Date: 2008
Source: photograph by volunteer

The large flints which appear in the buttresses of the fountain remind us that flints were mined on the site of the garden in medieval times. A reminder of the extensive system of tunnels (see PGPT346), which still survives in the area, came in 1984 when a bus, travelling up the Earlham Road towards the city, suddenly slipped into a hole created by the collapse of the roof of one such tunnel just opposite the entrance to the garden (PGPT347). Fortunately nobody was hurt, but considerable work was done to prevent a repetition of the accident.
The flints were embedded in chalk, which by the 19c was burnt in 2 lime kilns in the garden to make mortar for building work.
PGPT090
Date: 2008
Source: photograph by volunteer

This photograph was taken from a high viewpoint at the south end of the garden,at the top of the Italian terrace, looking across the thatched roof of the summerhouse past the balustrade on to the main lawn.
When the summerhouse was reconstructed in 2003 (cf PGPT135) it was roofed with heather like the original.  Unfortunately this did not prove successful under the canopy of the trees, and in 2008 the structure was re-roofed with Norfolk reed. The work is shown in progress here.
PGPT091
Date: 2007
Source: photograph by volunteer

Ruins in this spot (cf PGPT109) suggested the 'Gothic' alcove which the Trust decided to reconstruct in 2007, using original material found in the garden. It is an example of the 'medievalising' taste of Henry Trevor, shown also in many of the garden's walls. For practical reasons it was built lower than the ivy covered remains that appear in the background of PGPT063.
  
PGPT092
Date: 2009
Source: photographs by Douglas Stewart, volunteer

The retaining wall in the south west corner of the main lawn was already in a state of collapse in 1980. PGPT110 shows its state in July 2007, before restoration began. The Trust decided to rebuild it in 2009,with an inner skin of breeze blocks to give stability as this photograph shows. A facing of original material found in the garden was added, using many of the 'fancy' bricks which Henry Trevor had obtained from Gunton Bros for his walls. For the finished restoration see PGPT277.
PGPT094
Date 2007
Source photograph by volunteer

Richard Horne was the craftsman who built the oak shelter, a practical addition for volunteers who work in the garden or welcome visitors (cf PGPT057).
PGPT095
Date: 1898
Source: Boulton & Paul catalogue

When the Trust decided to build a shelter in the entrance yard of the garden (originally the site of glasshouses and fruit stores) the Boulton & Paul catalogue was consulted for design ideas, since Henry Trevor had used their design for his Palm House. This drawing, no. 653 in the catalogue, provided a suitable model (cf PGPT401).
PGPT096
Date: c.2000
Source: photograph by volunteer

The 'window' folly is a good example of Henry Trevor's liking for the medieval style in the decoration of his garden. In PGPT061/2 this feature can be seen as it appeared in the 1930s. The restoration in the 1990s was  not able to make use of the 1930s photograph and a central pillar was added to give support instead of the original buttresses on either side. For the 'angel' sculpture on the right see PGPT399.
PGPT097
Date: 2004
Source: photograph by volunteer

'Britain in Bloom' is a competition organised between various parts of Britain. This photograph was taken when the judges visited The Plantation in 2004 as part of the Norwich entry for the competition.
The very attractive planting in the beds originally within the Palm House can be seen here. Marjorie Wilson, Head Gardener, who designed and organised the planting of these beds, is on the right, talking to Sheila Adam (archivist) and Bruce Adam (chairman).
The small glasshouse was erected in 2002 with a grant of 1993 from the fund set up to celebrate the Queen's Golden Jubilee. Its practical purpose is to house chairs and tables for Sunday teas. The design was copied from old photographs of the glazed entrance to the boiler house as seen in PGPT002.
PGPT098
Date 1990s
Source: plan prepared to illustrate guided walks.

The ultimate source for this plan was the O.S 1883/4 map (PGPT082)
That map was used by the auctioneers, Spelmans, when they advertised the sale of Henry Trevor's properties in 1897. On their map the names of the owners of the adjacent properties on the Earlham and Unthank roads were shown. In turn that map was copied and numbers added in the 20c to identify various features for visitors, and dotted lines drawn to indicate the variety of circular walks which Henry Trevor had designed to add interest to his garden.

PGPT099
Date 2007
Source: photograph by volunteer

In the 1990s and early 21c a summer fete was held in July every year to raise funds for the PGPT. Bunting and flags were hung around the garden as decoration. Hanging the flags on the fountain was one of the more hazardous tasks!
PGPT100
Date July 2007
Source: photograph by volunteer

This view is of the South East corner of the main lawn. See PGPT083 for the story of the tree ferns and the architecture of the wall behind.
  Archive Index  

The Plantation Garden Preservation Trust, 4 Earlham Road, Norwich, Norfolk.