Events Features Where to find us History Home
 Our Gallery The Trust Membership and
      Contact information
Headlines Archive
Access Wedding Photography Application Form Teachers Links
The Plantation Garden Archive

Numbers 251 to 300 of the pictures in our archive - in numerical order (That is, the order in which they were scanned)

PGPT251
Date: 2009
Source: photograph by volunteer

Many of our volunteers and visitors find the greatest pleasure of their visits to the garden is the opportunity to see a variety of flora and fauna, like this Speckled Wood butterfly.
PGPT252
Date: 1980
Source: photograph by volunteer Allan Sewell

This photograph shows the ruinous state of the retaining wall in the south east corner of the level area of the garden in 1980 when the Trust began its work. The most prominent of the mixture of materials are the Gunton Bros spiral chimney bricks, bottom right, and the three sections of balustrading middle left.
PGPT253 shows the restoration in progress.
PGPT253
Date: 2003
Source: photograph by volunteer

This shows the early stages of the restoration of the retaining wall which appears in PGPT252. Michael Herring, the builder who undertook the restoration appears at the left. As in other restoration work, the materials used were found in the garden, and the style was copied from the other, 19c, walls. See PGPT368 for Michael's own description of his method of work. The restored wall is shown in PGPT262.
Guide on rustic bridge PGPT254
Date: c 2002
Source: photograph by volunteer

From the early days of restoration of the garden the PGPT volunteer guides have taken groups around the garden talking about its history and significance. The letter shown in PGPT414 illustrates the appreciation felt by many visitors.
On special occasions, such as the Queen's Jubilee, or for children's groups, the guides have adopted Victorian style costume.
The rustic bridge is a favourite spot for taking a photograph of the view to the south (cf PGPT403), although here the guide is pointing north, probably to the monkey puzzle tree planted just north of the bridge.
PGPT255
Date: 1980
Source: photograph by volunteer

Here we see the remains of a thatched rustic summer house which were found on the lawn near the Plantation house in 1980.The 'swan' panels on either side of the door were preserved by the PGPT for several years (cf PGPT331), but they eventually deteriorated to the point of no return.
Examination of these panels and other details proved that this was the summer house in the background of the family photograph of 1886 (PGPT?)
In 2002 the PGPT obtained grants and appealed to members for the sum necessary to pay for a reproduction summer house, built by a specialist firm, to be constructed at the top of the Italian terrace (cf PGPT135).
For further discussion about the original position of the summerhouse and its restoration see Ex Fonte no.22, 2002 p.11 and no.23, 2003 p.9.
PGPT256
Date: 2000
Source: photograph by volunteer

The garden is very photogenic in snow! These steps were built by volunteers to lead from the fountain up to the middle path along the east bank.







PGPT257
Date: c 2004
Source: Britain in Bloom photographer

Twice a year, spring and autumn, volunteers come together on a Sunday morning to plant summer or winter bedding. Marj Wilson, head gardener (2nd from left) plans the schemes, after discussion with a sub-committee, then purchases and organises the arrival of the plants for the day. Many hands make light work!

PGPT258
Date: 1999
Source: photograph by volunteer

The caption explains that a trench was dug for the pipes and cables needed and required to supply the south end of the garden with water and electricity, both often for events such as parties and weddings held in marquees on the lawn. Although this was for a time a profitable source of income, it did result in some damage to the flower beds and grass, and rarely happens now.




PGPT259
Date: 1998
Source: photograph by volunteer (replicates PGPT312)

This view from the rustic bridge shows clearly the outline of the Palm House (PGPT003) - its shape and interior paths. The beds had been planted recently, and the surfacing of the paths with gravel had just been completed.

PGPT260
Date: July 2004
Source: photograph by volunteer

Many of the original steps at the top of the flight up to the Italian terrace had become worn and a possible hazard for the public, so in 2004 new 'Mooncrete' steps were used to replace the damaged ones, though care was taken to retain or reuse the originals where possible.
In the background can be seen the restored summerhouse, and the pedestal decorated with pebble flints and Gunton Bros 'fancy' bricks (cf PGPT354/5)
PGPT261
Date: 2004
Source: Planting scheme drawn by Marj Wilson

Marj Wilson, Head Gardener, has provided visitors each year with beautiful drawings of the planting plans of various beds in the garden, both the perennial beds and summer (as here) or winter bedding. Visitors can often be seen studying the laminated copies of these drawings placed in stands in the garden.



 

PGPT262
Date: 2003
Source: photograph by volunteer Sarah Cocke

In this photograph we can see the completed restoration of the wall in the south east corner. PGPT252/3 show the state of this wall at earlier dates, and see PGPT368 for a description of the restoration process.



PGPT263
Date: 2006
Source: photograph by volunteer

This photograph shows how attractive the rockworks can look. Photographs from the 1980s (PGPT387) and 1990s (PGPT370) illustrate earlier periods, and PGPT214 gives a description of the building materials used.
Water was laid on to trickle down the 'steps' which descend from the lump of clinker at the top, just to the right of the cordyline.






Eric and shed PGPT264
Date: 2004
Source: photograph by volunteer

Volunteer Eric is doing some repair work to the flint and brick shed, which was rebuilt in the 1990s on the site of an earlier building, shown on the 1883 O.S. map south of the gardener's cottage (PGPT034)
PGPT371 shows its position relative to the Plantation house.






PGPT265
Date: 1897
Source: 'My Quest for God' by John Trevor, published 1897 by the "Labour Prophet" office, London.

John Trevor (1855 - 1930) was the son of Henry Trevor's brother Frederic Francis (cf PGPT106), who died in 1860 when John was only six. John was therefore brought up in Wisbech by his grandparents who were very strict Baptists (PGPT164). This upbringing probably contributed to his later religious crises and  nervous breakdowns.
He first trained as an architect in Norwich, but did not settle to the work and went (probably encouraged by Henry) to seek his fortune in Australia and America. Again he did not settle, and returned to England and in 1881 married his cousin Eliza (PGPT162), Henry Trevor's daughter, some eleven years his senior. They were married in London rather than in the Baptist chapel in Norwich, as might have been expected.
John finally found his vocation as a Free Church minister and was appointed to Manchester, where he founded the first Labour Church. Its ideal was that the working man should feel at home with its simple style of worship. Famous socialists like Bernard Shaw and Kier Hardie came to speak atJohn's meetings and so  nowadays religious and political historians take a great interest in this period of John's life.
Sadly, he had another nervous breakdown, and moved away from Manchester to Cheshire, Sussex and London. He wrote articles putting forward socialist policies, married a second time and became a photographer.
It is noticeable that among the many legacies Henry Trevor left to his relatives there was no personal bequest to John.
PGPT266
Date: 1890s
Source: Kath Barnard, great-granddaughter of Henry Trevor

These two boys, Hugh (b.1882) and Stanley (b.1885) were the two surviving grandsons of Henry Trevor and inherited the residue of his estate. Their parents were Eliza (PGPT162) and John (PGPT265) Trevor.
Hugh emigrated to New Zealand and his descendants have occasionally visited the garden, alerted to its discovery and restoration by Kath Barnard (PGPT161). For Stanley  see PGPT167.
PGPT267
Date: early 2000s
Source: photograph by volunteer

The label of this plant states: "This Hebe has a direct connection with Queen Victoria.  She gave a sprig from her wedding bouquet to the wife of the Bishop of Norwich in 1840.  It was propagated successfully, and our plant is a daughter of the hebe which flourishes in the Bishop's garden today".

Historians have been rude enough to dispute this claim, made on behalf of a number of plants in different bishops' gardens, by saying that in fact myrtle, not hebe, was the plant in the bouquet, and that it was Queen Victoria's daughter, not the queen herself, who carried myrtle in her wedding bouquet. However, we like the original story.

PGPT268
Date: 2004
Source: photograph by volunteer

Red, white and blue are the colours used for this bedding scheme on the upper lawn, with a banana tree giving height in the centre.
     
PGPT269, PGPT271, PGPT272
Date: 2004
Source: photographs by volunteers

Margaret, Nancy and Sue all did stalwart work as volunteers, organising and serving teas on summer Sundays.Nancy was a committee member for many years also.

Many hands have always been required, not only to serve teas, but to make the 200 or more cakes needed every summer to supply the tea stall.
PGPT270
Date: 2004
Source: photograph by volunteer

A volunteer from the tea team. Many hands have always been required, not only to serve teas, but to make the 200 or more cakes needed every summer to supply the tea stall.

Nancy with visitors on the day of the fete.
PGPT273
Date: July 2008
Source: photograph by volunteer

Many visitors thoroughly enjoy the peace and quiet they can find in the garden. Note the section of 'medieval' wall in the background, and the exotic echium which astonished visitors for a season.

PGPT274
Date: July 2009
Source: photograph by volunteer

The garden in full summer bloom. The seat resembles those shown in the Boulton and Paul catalogue of 1898 (PGPT077)


 

PGPT275
Date: July 2009
Source: photograph by Alex Wilson

Another attractive view, where the tower of St John's R.C. cathedral can be seen in the background. Henry Trevor must have been very pleased when this building in the 'medieval' style was begun in 1890, replacing the prison (PGPT229) which had stood on the site since before he built the Plantation house in 1856.
PGPT276
Date: July 2009
Source: photograph by volunteer

This view of the rockworks shows how well the planting planned by Marj Wilson and Lesley Cuneen had developed by 2009 (cf PGPT214). The prominence of ferns and cordylines echoes the taste of Victorian gardeners.
PGPT277
Date: July 2009
Source: photograph by volunteer

The 'fly in the ointment' spoiling this view of the garden looking south is the barricade of fences around the rectangular bed: these have to be erected to make sure that foxes do not dig up  the summer bedding plants in their early stages.
Otherwise the scene is one of improvements: the restored summerhouse at the top of the steps, the restored S.W.wall (cf PGPT129).
PGPT278
Date: July 2009
Source: photograph by volunteer

On the O.S. 1883 map a flight of steps is shown leading from the south east of the upper terrace to the path which ran around the circumference of the top of the garden. In 2009 work was begun to uncover the remains of the original steps and reconstruct them.This photograph shows the work at an early stage: PGPT247 shows the project completed.
PGPT279
Date: July 2009
Source: photograph by volunteer

The south east corner of the lower lawn, showing the decorative walls and flourishing tree ferns. In the harsh winter of 2011/12 the large tree fern received a severe set-back, but recovered enough to produce a single frond in the summer of 2012.


PGPT280
Date: April 2005
Source: photograph by volunteer

The magnolia on the upper lawn.





 

PGPT281
Date: April 2005
Source: photograph by volunteer

The rustic bridge, reconstructed in 1998 (cf PGPT374), acts  both as a belvedere and a link between various paths around the garden (cf PGPT098). PGPT402 shows a view of the bridge from the upper lawn.





PGPT282
Date: September 2004
Source: photograph by volunteer

The serving table and chairs on the right show that this photograph was taken on a Sunday during preparations for serving teas. The summer bedding is still in full flower around the trachycarpus fortunei, which is considerably smaller than it would be 4 years later (cf PGPT237).
PGPT283
Date: July 2005
Source: photograph by volunteer

Two committee members are leading 'Britain in Bloom' visitors across the rustic bridge.



PGPT284
Date: September 2006
Source: photograph by volunteer

This fountain, probably made by Doulton, seems to have been introduced into the Plantation garden by George Green (PGPT087) in the 1920s. It is very similar to the one which appears in the photograph of the conservatory of Carrow house (PGPT066).
It appears on the lawn of the Plantation house in photographs from the 1940s and 1950s, when a gardener (PGPT014) and various midwives (e.g.PGPT141) chose it as a background for their photographs. It was still in that position when the Trust took over the garden in 1980, although the upper tier was missing (cf PGPT189). Now (2013) the pieces are kept in storage.

 

PGPT285
Date: June 2004
Source: photograph by volunteer

Information boards in various parts of the garden help visitors to appreciate its history. With the help of charitable grants, boards have been set up to give the history of Trevor Page (Henry Trevor's firm, cf PGPT133);of the Palm House; of the rustic summerhouse; and of the creation of the garden.
PGPT286
Date: April 2007
Source: photograph by volunteer

Visitors enjoying the spring sunshine and the winter/spring bedding as they sit in front of the rockworks.


 

PGPT287
Date: October 2006
Source: photograph by volunteer

This is the new net, made to protect the pool of the fountain against falling leaves, and the fish from marauding herons. PGPT119 shows the net in use a year later.

 

PGPT288
Date: 20th September 2009
Source: photograph by volunteer

See PGPT235 for the story of how the Trust was able to build a new greenhouse in 2009. The structure is not an exact replica of the original (we have no evidence of its appearance) but it has been built in a 'Victorian' style on the site of an original structure. PGPT235 shows the interior in the course of construction, and PGPT245 the exterior.
This photograph was taken when the greenhouse was officially opened by chairman Nick Belfield-Smith.
   PGPT289 and PGPT290
Date: 1980s
Source: photographs by volunteers

Seeing these photographs side by side makes it easy to compare the plaque from the Plantation garden (PGPT289) with that from Oxburgh Hall (PGPT290).
The story of these plaques is told in PGPT324-6.
PGPT291
Date: 1883 with later additions
Source: 'The Plantation Garden' by Sheila Adam, UEA dissertation, 1996

The 1883 O.S map has been used as a basis, with coloured outlines added to emphasise the comparative size of neighbouring gardens. Thus the Plantation itself is outlined in green, and an area to the south which Henry Trevor owned for a few years from 1877 in red; The Elms (cf PGPT010), owned by Henry Trevor's stepson, is included in the area outlined in orange; The Grove, owned 1841-1862 by Henry Trevor's father-in-law,Joseph Gray (PGPT158), is outlined in pink (cf PGPT364/5); and Heighamgrove house in blue (cf PGPT363).
PGPT292
Date: 1960s
Source: O.S. map with later additions

The outlines of earlier gardens (see PGPT291) make it clear how many houses were built in the 20c on the former large gardens of the 19c.
PGPT293
Date: 1991
Source: as PGPT050

It was on the same excursion that John Watson took this photograph towards the north.




PGPT294
Date: 18th October, 1842
Source: The Norwich Mercury newspaper

See PGPT079 for discussion of Henry Trevor's advertisement. Here more of the surrounding advertisements are shown, giving a picture of commercial activity in Norwich when Henry Trevor opened his shop.







PGPT295
Date: 1838
Source: copy of an original watercolour owned by Bettine Page

This watercolour bears the information that its subject, John Joseph Gray Page, was 2 years 3 months, and the painter was Mrs Turnbull. John wears a skirt, as was usual for little boys in the early 19c, and is brandishing a whip and pulling a cart.
For a summary of his life, see PGPT168. PGPT171 shows him in the garden of his own house, the Elms in Heigham Grove, while PGPT170 shows him surrounded by his workmen at Trevor Page's workshop. The only photograph of him in the Plantation garden was taken in front of the summerhouse (PGPT415).
In his old age he recalled many memories of his earlier life around Heigham Grove which were published in the Eastern  Daily Press in April 1925.
His stepfather Henry Trevor obviously helped him a lot in business, which was only fair since some of Henry Trevor's own prosperity was founded on the help he had received from the Joseph Gray (PGPT158) after whom John was named.
PGPT296
Date: 1830
Source: plan of the city of Norwich surveyed by Millard and Manning

The prison features prominently on this 1830 plan. It had only been completed in 1826 (cf PGPT229) and so Henry Trevor could have had little hope in 1856 when he built his house that it would ever be removed from his view. However, it was replaced by St John's R.C church (later cathedral) from 1890.
  PGPT297 (duplicate)
PGPT298
Date: 1997
Source: photograph by Sarah Cocke

This photograph was taken to be the cover photograph for the Plantation Garden guide and history published in March 1998. The Town Close Trust gave a generous grant towards the cost of printing.
PGPT299
Date: early 2000's
Source: photograph by volunteer

There are many photographs of the 'Gothic' fountain throughout the archive, but this one shows especially clearly how Henry Trevor used bricks made by Gunton Bros in the construction. The cusped arches, for example, can be seen in a page from Gunton's catalogue (cf PGPT300). Various chimney brick designs (cf PGPT311) also appear on the fountain, and the classical designs on the lip in the foreground can be found in the catalogue too.
Henry Trevor no doubt chose to use all these designs in white brick rather than red because right from the start it would look as though the fountain was made of stone rather than the much more economical brick.
For his choice of a 'Gothic' style see PGPT136.
PGPT300
Date: 1903
Source: catalogue of 'Ornamental Brick Mouldings' made by Gunton Bros of Costessey.

This page of the catalogue shows some of the windows made by Guntons which Henry Trevor used on the 'Gothic' fountain (PGPT299) and lavishly around the garden e.g. on pedestals (cf PGPT356/7), the Window folly (PGPT096) and the Gothic alcove (PGPT214).




  Archive Index  

The Plantation Garden Preservation Trust, 4 Earlham Road, Norwich, Norfolk.