Events Features Where to find us History Home
 Our Gallery The Trust Membership and
      Contact information
Headlines Archive Index
Access Wedding Photography Application Form Teachers Links
The Plantation Garden Archive

Numbers 1 - 50 of the pictures in our archive - in numerical order (That is, the order in which they were scanned)

PGPT001
Date:1897
Source: Spelman (auctioneers) included this photograph in their particulars of sale of the lease of the Plantation house and garden. The sale was held after Henry Trevor's death in May 1897. Re-photographed in 1998 by Sarah Cocke from the original in the NRO.

This view was taken looking south from the rustic bridge (cf PGPT402). It shows clearly the overall 'bowl' shape of the garden, which was built in an old chalk quarry. Even before chalk was quarried flints were mined there.
Various structures can be seen: prominent in the centre is the 'Gothic' fountain (cf PGPT298): 'Italian' balustrades and terraces (cf PGPT320) can be seen at the far end: the 1871 Palm House and Winter Garden (cf PGPT003) is visible at the right.
H.T's gardening style is revealed by the emphasis on carpet bedding in the flower beds, with 'exotics' as 'dot' plants along the edge of the lawn and shrubs and trees planted on the slopes.

    

PGPT002
Date:1897
Source: as in PGPT001

This view was taken looking north from the top of the Italian terrace. The Plantation house (PGPT067) can be seen near the horizon on the left, and the Palm House and Winter Garden (PGPT003) are visible at the far end of the garden. The way the ivy has been cut into triangles and decorates the 'medieval' wall (cf PGPT227) to the left of the Palm House is similar to the treatment on the balustrade walls in PGPT001.
PGPT003
Date:1890s
Source: detail from a photograph (PGPT019) taken by 'John Gavin, Artist, 85, St Giles St., Norwich (Only Address)'. Original in PG archive. Re-photographed in 1998 by Sarah Cocke.

The Palm House and Winter garden. This large glass house (octagon 29' across, rectangle 35' x 15') was presumably erected in 1871, since that is the date on a brick in the adjacent 'medieval' wall, which acts as a retaining wall for the level area where the Palm House stands.
It was built by Boulton and Paul, an important engineering firm in Norwich in the 19c and much of the 20c. From their catalogue we know that it was heated by 1000' of hot water piping. The structure was demolished early in the 20c and the site became a rose garden (cf PGPT152).
PGPT004
Date:1920s
Source: photograph in PGPT archive

Group photograph of Baptist ladies who were organising a fête in the garden. This was during the period when George Green (see PGPT059) lived in the Plantation. He was a strong supporter of St. Mary's Baptist Church.

This photograph was produced (at a talk given in June 2008) by the child of one of the people shown. She said that the lady in a white dress and black hat in the centre of 2nd row was the minister's wife and the young man in the front row in pale trousers almost in front of her became a minister later.
PGPT005
Date: c.1927
Source: family album of the Page family (cf PGPT016); photograph donated by Bettine Page.

This photograph was taken by Brian Page, grandson of the John Joseph Gray Page (see PGPT168), who was the eldest stepson of Henry Trevor (see 106).
This view was taken from the rustic bridge and can be compared with PGPT001. By this time the Palm House has been demolished and its site turned into a rose garden.
PGPT006
Date: 1920s
Source: Green family album

This is a companion photograph to PGPT017. It is notable that the Palm House has been demolished, and probably a rose garden has replaced it. The ivy on the supporting wall is overgrown (cf PGPT003) as is the bank in front of it. There are at least 3 jets at the top of the fountain.
The gardens immediately around the house look well-cared for, and formal beds and lawns still exist on the north of the house. Several climbing plants can be seen on the walls.
The photograph was taken from an upper path on the east bank of the garden.
PGPT007
Date:1886
Source: original photograph in PGPT archive re-photographed by Sarah Cocke in 1998.

This detail is taken from a family photograph (PGPT415) posed in front of the rustic summerhouse. It shows John Joseph Gray Page, Henry Trevor's stepson and business partner (see PGPT295 for a watercolour of John as a charming toddler!) One of his teenage sons stands beside him.
The poster in the background advertises a Flower Service, for the Horticultural Society, at the Old Parish Church on Sunday afternoon Aug 1st 1886. The sermon will be given by Rev J.Mellor Evans, offertories of flowers received from 2.30 to 3.15, service to commence at 3.30. There can surely be no doubt that flowers went to the church from the Plantation garden.
   PGPT008,009
Date:1897
Source: Spelman (auctioneers) included these photographs in their particulars of sale of the lease of the Plantation house and garden and other properties owned by Henry Trevor. The sale was held after Henry Trevor's death in May 1897.

PGPT008 shows part of the terrace of 7 houses which Henry Trevor built in the 1860s to form Chester Place. They were designed by the architect Edward Boardman. The low walls between the houses were built to the same design as balustrades in the Plantation (PGPT022) and the pedestals, like the one visible here at the end of the wall, are very similar to those around the fountain in the garden (cf PGPT356), using flints and Gunton fancy bricks.

009 shows two houses in Chester Place (Chester House in the foreground. The Rosary on the left) which were owned by Henry Trevor and included in the 1897 sale.
PGPT010
Date:1897
Source: as PGPT008/9.

The photograph shows The Elms, Heigham Grove. In 1897 and for many years before, Henry Trevor's stepson, John Joseph Gray Page (PGPT168) lived in this house with his large family.
PGPT011
Date: early 20c.
Source: Gunton Bros pamphlet with illustrations of their work

This photograph is labelled "Old work recently renewed by Gunton Bros for Lord Stafford". Examples of the fleur de lys bricks shown on the shaft of the chimney, and the bosses on the base, are found in the Plantation Garden.
Lord Stafford owned Old Costessey Hall, where Gunton Bros started their brick manufacture.
PGPT012
Date:1928
Source: Boulton & Paul catalogue, no.132 and 133

The rustic bridges shown in these photographs are very similar to the rustic bridge in a 1930s photograph of the rustic bridge in the Plantation Garden (PGPT373). As Henry Trevor obtained his Palm House from Boulton and Paul, it is very probable that he also obtained his rustic bridge from the same firm.
PGPT013
Date:1940s (?)
Source: unknown

The main lawn became a tennis court during the early 20c., and that involved grassing over the flower beds and the main path. This view looks toward the north (cf.PGPT002). The very overgrown state of the beds indicates a date in the 1940s, as do the short skirts of the tennis players.
PGPT014
Date:1940s/50s
Source: unknown

This photograph was taken on the lawn to the south of the Plantation house. It shows a gardener standing beside a fountain, parts of which were discovered here in 1980 and removed into the protection of the brick shed in the Plantation garden (PGPT284). This ceramic fountain was made by Doulton, and is very similar to one that appears in a photograph of the conservatory at Carrow (see PGPT066).
St John's Roman Catholic cathedral can be seen in the background.
 
PGPT015
Date:1890s
Source: negative donated by J.F.C.Mills

The photograph was taken from the lawn of the Plantation house, looking across the top of the Palm house to St John's Catholic cathedral. The cathedral is only partly built, and this is how the photograph can be dated to the 1890s. N.b. the globe lights beside the steps, the open ventilators of the Palm house, and the immaculate carpet bedding.
PGPT016
Date:1927
Source: Brian Page, grandson of J.J.G.Page, produced this view, looking north from the terrace, with his box camera (cf PGPT005)

Steps can be seen (before the fountain) leading up to the 'window folly' (PGPT396), the rustic bridge is just visible beyond the fountain, and the central lawn has become a tennis court with flower beds and main path grassed over. The rockworks on the right look overgrown.
PGPT017
Date: 1920s
Source: Green family album

This view has been taken from the rustic bridge, looking outh (cf PGPT001) It appears to be a companion photograph to PGPT006. It is notable that the lawn and main path have been grassed over: the trangles of ivy on the terrace walls (cf PGPT001) have been replaced by ivy 'columns', and the elaborate pattern of the flowerbeds in the foreground are similar to those in PGPT005).

PGPT018
Date:1890s
Source: photograph in PGPT archive

The cathedral of St John the Baptist (R.C.) is an immediate neighbour of the Plantation garden. It was built, between 1884 and 1910, on the site of the old city gaol, for the 15th Duke of Norfolk. The architect was G.G.Scott Jun. Henry Trevor must have been delighted when this prestigious building replaced the gaol, for he had a clear view of it from his garden (cf. PGPT015)
The nave was the first part of the building to be finished, in 1894, so this photograph must date after that.This view is of the east end, on the junction of Unthank Rd and Earlham Rd. The surrounding wall has yet to be built.

PGPT019
Date:1890s
Source: photograph taken by John Gavin. PGPT003 shows an enlarged detail of this photograph.

This view was taken from the Italian terrace looking North, from a point slightly lower than in PGPT002. The plantings are so similar in these 2 photographs that it is tempting to think they come from the same set, but there are differences, e.g a ladder propped against the Palm house in PGPT002 does not appear here. Because the distance from the flower beds is less, it has been posssible to identify some of the plants e.g.the echeveria which edge the long bed on the left of the lawn (cf PGPT021).
PGPT020
Date:1890s
Source:Detail from PGPT019


PGPT021
Date:1890s
Source:Detail from PGPT019

PGPT022
Date:1920s
Source: Green family album

Rather poor copies of rather poor photographs from the family album of the Greens. George Green (see PGPT059)held the lease of the Plantation throughout the 1920s, and here members of his family are playing tennis on the lawn and 2 young children are peeping through the balustrades at the top of the Italian terrace. The 'balusters' are an economical design made of bricks - cheaper than buying shaped balusters. Henry Trevor used the same design for the low dividing walls between the houses of the Terrace he built in Chester Place (PGPT008).
PGPT023
Date:c.1930
Source: Kathleen Barnard

This photograph was given to the Trust by Kathleen Barnard, great grand-daughter of Henry Trevor. It was taken by her father, Stanley Trevor, who was one of the two grandsons (PGPT266) to whom Henry Trevor left the residue of his estate.
      PGPT024, 025, 026
Date unknown, of unknown subjects in the garden.
PGPT027
Date:1920s
Source: Green family album

The path on the left has been grassed over to enlarge the lawn for a tennis court. The ivy on the terrace is very overgrown, and so are the plants on the rockworks. There is a structure which was described as an umpire's stand at the top of the rockworks on the left. When the 'Gothic Alcove' was being reconstructed in 2009 this photograph was enlarged and examined in the hope that it would yield evidence about the structure, but it only showed that it was covered with ivy.
George Green liked to use the garden for events during his occupancy, but there is no evidence that he was interested in gardening!
PGPT028
Date:1980s
Source:Sketch by PGPT volunteer in PGPT archive

This sketch was an attempt to reconstruct the 'Gothic Alcove' from the (very obscure) background on the left of PGPT027
   PGPT029 (on left)
Date:1890s
Source: negative donated by J.F.C. Mills

This negative is one of a pair donated by Mr Mills. The other (PGPT015) sets the date for the pair. From this angle the glasshouse beside the fountain can be seen more clearly than in other photographs, and the complicated pattern of flower beds on the upper lawn is clear too.
PGPT030 (on right)
Duplicate of PGPT019
PGPT032
Date: as PGPT006
Source: Green family album, re-photographed for use as postcard.

In the 1980s several postcards were produced for sale to visitors to the garden. They were printed in sepia to give a 'period' effect. This photograph was adapted from PGPT006. PGPT033/4 are from the same series of postcards.
PGPT033
Date: suggested 1920s.
Source: 1980s postcard from unknown original

Interesting features here are the rustic fence in the lower left hand corner, the steps on the West bank, the urns on the pedestals around the fountain and the eagles(?) on top of the columns in front of the propagating house.
PGPT034
Date: 1st quarter 20c
Source: 1980s postcard from unknown original. (cf PGPT 032)

The gardener's cottage in The Plantation is described in the 1897 auction particulars as comprising 'Entrance,Two Sitting Rooms,Kitchen, Pantry, W.C. and Three Bedrooms'.
In the 1860 census one George Woodhouse and his family were living in the cottage, and he was still Henry Trevor's head gardener in 1897 when Henry died. He received a legacy (£50, the equivalent of a year's wages) in Henry Trevor's will, and took part in his funeral procession, so he had obviously earned the respect of his employer and the family.
The tall chimneys of the cottage can be seen in PGPT002 and 003.
The cottage was demolished in the 1960s. See PGPT371 for its appearance in the 1990s.
   PGPT035, 036
Date: PGPT035 1986 early summer
PGPT036 1985
Source: photographs taken by volunteers

In 1980 when the work of restoration began the lawn area was a mass of self sown grasses, saplings etc. (cf ) When work began on the lawn, a decision was taken to use traditional methods, and so the painstaking work of levelling the ground before sowing one section at a time was undertaken, as these photographs show. At this stage there was no attempt to reinstate the flower beds either down the centre or along the West side.
PGPT037
Date: 1989
Source: photograph taken by volunteer in PG archive

The Plantation house, built by Henry Trevor in 1856. In the early 1980s it became part of 'The Beeches' hotel.
In this photograph the balustrade along the top of the retaining 'medieval' wall has not yet been restored, and there is much work to be done on the upper lawn (cf PGPT400).
PGPT038
Date: 1985
Source: photograph taken by volunteer in PG archive

The Italian balustrade is shown here after some work has been done: Much of the ivy covering has been stripped away (cf PGPT319), and most of the balustrade has been restored. It can be seen that the lawn area is unkempt and full of weeds.
PGPT039
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph taken by volunteer in PG archive

It can be seen that the fountain wall has been repaired, as has the wall alongside. The fountain wall is built with flints, the side wall with a mixture of flints,plain bricks, and 'fancy' Gunton bricks in red and white patterns. The fountain basin has not yet been filled with water.
  
PGPT040, 041, 042
Date: 1989
Source: photograph taken by volunteer in PG archive

There was co-operation between the hotelier and the PGPT to restore the balustrade above the retaining wall in front of the hotel.

 

  
PGPT043, 044
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by volunteer in PG archive

A theory was taken up by some of the volunteers which maintained that much terracotta in the 19c had been limewashed to imitate stone. This theory was acted on in the area at the bottom of the steps down to the lawn from the Palm House terrace. Here we can see some of the several plaques which have a design of a barrel and fruit being limewashed by volunteers.
Fortunately the popularity of this idea was short lived.
PGPT045
Date: 1960s
Source: photograph in PG archives

This aerial view shows St John's Cathedral top right, and evidence of neglect in the garden: the upper and lower lawns are unkempt and the fountain basin is empty.
  
PGPT046
Date: 1940s
Source: photograph given to PG archive by someone who had lived in the Plantation house during her training as a midwife.
The Doulton fountain on the lawn beside the house was regularly chosen as a background for souvenir photographs (cf PGPT141).

PGPT047
Date: 1936
Source: photograph given to PG archive by Mrs Trick (nee Drake), who is the child in the photograph.

The side elevation of 'The Beeches' with its 19c conservatory is in the background. Mr H.J.Drake was tenant of the house for most of the 1930s.
PGPT048
Date 1935
Source as PGPT 047

The rustic summer house shown here in the garden of 'The Beeches' (cf PGPT051) was of similar taste to the summer house in The Plantation (cf PGPT007). This garden has been built on since 1980 for an extension to the hotel and part of its car park.
The house in the background is Chester Lodge, in Chester Place.
PGPT049
Date 1893
Source Catalogue of Boulton & Paul (ref.NN105)

In the description of the Palm house in the 1897 auction particulars there is mention of a saddle boiler which heated the 1000' of hot water piping in the Palm house. It is known that B & P supplied the Palm house in 1871, so it seems probable that they also supplied a saddle boiler of a type similar to this one from a later catalogue.
PGPT050
Date: 1991
Source: photograph by John Watson

John Watson (see PGPT192) wanted to take an aerial view of the Plantation. So he booked a session on a hot air balloon and, as he said, was lucky that the wind was in the right direction and the weather was fine so that he was indeed able to take this aerial view. This photograph, looking south, illustrates clearly how the garden could remain 'secret' for so long; it has 1 narrow entrance from the Earlham Rd, towards the bottom of the picture, and is otherwise surrounded by trees backing on to gardens. The extent of Gray/Trevor/Page family land can be viewed too: between them they owned the area west of the Plantation where Henry Trevor built the grey-roofed terrace of Chester Place, and other family homes occupied the area in the bottom right corner.

N.b. the flower beds have not yet been cut into the lawn.

 

 

  Archive Index  

The Plantation Garden Preservation Trust, 4 Earlham Road, Norwich, Norfolk.