Events Features Where to find us History Home
 Our Gallery The Trust Membership and
      Contact information
Headlines Archive Index
Access Wedding Photography Application Form Teachers Links
The Plantation Garden Archive

Numbers 151 to 200 of the pictures in our archive - in numerical order (That is, the order in which they were scanned)

  
PGPT151 and PGPT154
Date: 1930s
Source: advertising brochure for nursing home in 1930s

After the death of George Green in 1929 a group of doctors took over the lease of the Plantation and set up a clinic and nursing home. (Since the garden was opened to the public in 1980 many visitors have told us their memories of family members who were born or worked at the Plantation - see PGPT137-146).

Professional photographs were taken in the 1930s by A.E.Coe and Sons Ltd, Norwich, to illustrate the facilities available for patients. These 2 photographs show (left) one of the upstairs bedrooms, with views down on to the garden, and (right) the operating theatre, downstairs to the right of the front door. The window on the left of the picture has been altered to let in more light; this feature can be seen as you approach the north side of the house from Earlham Rd. (cf PGPT439)
PGPT152
Date: 1930s
Source: as PGPT151/4

This photograph (label 'View of Garden') must have been taken from the rustic bridge, looking South. The Palm House has been demolished and apparently been replaced by a rose garden. In the foreground a framework can just be seen beneath climbing plants: was this the remains of the glazed structure (entrance to the underground chamber for the boiler) just visible on the right in PGPT002?
PGPT153
Date: 1930s
Source: as PGPT151/4

PGPT152 gave the view of the garden looking south, here we have the view looking north. The label was 'House from grounds showing tennis court.' The contrast between the untidiness of the bed on the West of the lawn (left) and its neat appearance in PGPT019 is striking.
PGPT155
Date: 1930s
Source: as PGPT143

This same nurse appears in PGPT145/6. She is posing in front of the Doulton ceramic fountain on the lawn to the south of the Plantation house (see PGPT014).

 

PGPT156
Date: unknown
Source: as PGPT157

Subject unknown. perhaps a member of the Gray family?
PGPT157
Date:1833
Source: Gray family portrait, photograph taken by permission of Jill Prestt.

The picture by C.S. Bailly, is of Eliza Gray, youngest daughter of Joseph Gray (see PGPT158). She also appears, with her 2 sisters, in PGPT159.

Eliza was born in 1823 and married her cousin, James Dawbarn, in 1845. They had 6 children. Eliza,as a child, lived at The Grove, Heigham Grove, Norwich. By a surprising coincidence, Jill Prestt, who owns the portrait and was the great-grand-daughter of Eliza, in 1990 bought a house in Heigham Grove, a short distance from The Grove, without knowing that her ancestors had lived there (see Ex Fonte no. 13 1992)
PGPT158
Date: 1833
Source: as PGPT157

Joseph Gray (1787-1862) was 46 years old when C.S.Bailly made this pencil drawing. He was a successful cabinet maker, trading under the name of Hunter & Gray in Lobster Lane, Norwich. Evidence of his prosperity is his purchase around 1830 of a large house and garden, The Grove, at the bottom of Heigham Grove. He kept a carriage and horses in his stables, and was pastor at St Margaret's Baptist chapel, Pottergate, which had been built by his father-in-law, George Barber, in 1790.

It may well have been when visiting the Baptist chapel in Wisbech that Joseph met Henry Trevor, who came from Wisbech to Norwich to work for him (see PGPT079,106). Henry married Joseph's daughter Mary in 1843.

Joseph's will shows how much he relied upon his son-in-law Henry: sadly, his own 3 sons had predeceased him. He is buried in a family tomb in Earlham cemetery.
PGPT159
Date: 1830s
Source: oil portrait owned by descendants of Joseph Gray

Joseph Gray (see PGPT158) was able to afford to have this portrait painted of his 3 daughters (left to right) Mary, Eliza and Sarah. Sarah married but was childless, for Eliza see PGPT157, and Mary(1815-1902) married twice. In 1834 her first marriage was to Wm Durrant Page, a bookseller on Gentleman's Walk. Unfortunately he died young in 1841, leaving his widow, Mary, with 3 small boys. The eldest of these had been marked out as heir to his grandfather by his name - John Joseph Gray Page. (see PGPT168).

Mary's second marriage, in 1843, was to Henry Trevor (see PGPT106).Although they had several children, only one daughter, Eliza, survived to adulthood (see PGPT162). Mary herself  reached a ripe old age and is buried, with her father and husband, in the family tomb in Earlham cemetery (PGPT337/8)
PGPT160
Date: 1612
Source: Norfolk Civic Portrait Collection, 71; 'Norfolk Museums Service (Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery)

Sir John Pettus (1550 - 1614) had his portrait painted in 1612. He had been Mayor in 1608, so the portrait of which this is a detail hangs with other mayoral portraits in Blackfriars Hall. A blue plaque identifies his house on Elm Hill.
In his will, Sir John displayed his piety by various charitable bequests. One was to leave 7 acres of land, just outside the city walls, to a Trust, later known as 'The Preachers' Money Charity'. The income from letting out this land was in part to be used to pay the expenses of preachers who would come from e.g. Suffolk and preach on summer Sundays outside the Cathedral.
The only part of those 7 acres which still belongs to the Charity is the Plantation garden. The Charity has now been subsumed into the Great Hospital Charities.
PGPT161
Date: 1994
Source: photograph donated by Kath Barnard née Trevor

Kath Barnard (1910-2011) was the great-grand-daughter of Henry and Mary Trevor (see PGPT159), descended from their daughter Eliza (see PGPT162). She was very surprised when she opened her Sunday Telegraph newspaper in March 1984 to see an article about a 'secret garden' in Norwich and to recognise the name of an ancestor of her own - Henry Trevor. She was living in Cheshire, though had heard from her father (see PGPT167) about his visits to the Plantation in his youth.

She became a great benefactor of the garden, producing photgraphs and family information, making donations and giving a bench 'so that Henry's name could appear in the garden.' She made regular visits into her eighties.
PGPT162
Date: 1880/1
Source: 'My Quest for God' by John Trevor, frontispiece. Published 1897 by "Labour Prophet" Office, London

Eliza Trevor (1843-1894) was the only surviving daughter of Henry and Mary Trevor (PGPT106,159). She was married in 1881 to her cousin, John Trevor (PGPT265), who was 11 years her junior. Henry may not have been enthusiastic about this match. John had stayed for periods in Norwich while training to be an architect, and in his autobiography 'My Quest for God' told of how he had fallen in love with Eliza, who had already endured a mysterious 'baptism of fire'.They read sermons together, and it is clear that they both went through nervous crises of faith.

When John was sent abroad, Eliza stayed constant, and on his return they married, in London, not in the family chapel in Norwich. John became one of the founders of the 'Labour Church' (and is now of interest to students of the early Labour movement). They moved North and had 4 children, of whom 2 survived. Eliza died in Manchester, of breast cancer, when only 51. She is mentioned on the gravestone in Earlham cemetery (PGPT338).
PGPT163
Date: September 28,1983
Source: article in Eastern Daily Press

The EDP article was written to give the news that Trevor Page, the Norwich firm of furnishers, opened by Henry Trevor in 1843 (cf PGPT079) was closing after 140 years in business. In the picture, Mr A.G.Hodges, chairman, is displaying a bust he had had made to stand in the shop. Supposedly of Henry Trevor, it actually bears a strong resemblance to a photograph of John Trevor, Henry's father (see PGPT164). The bust was given to the Trust by the son of A.G.Hodges.
PGPT164
Date: 19c.
Source: 'My Quest for God' by John Trevor, facing p.1

John Trevor snr (1787-1864) was the father of Henry Trevor. He lived in Wisbech, and was a 'retired Lincolnshire farmer - a fine old Puritan, who shaved on Saturday night to avoid needless labour on the Sabbath.' His grandson,John    (PGPT265) goes on to say that he 'had rectitude indelibly stamped' upon him. He had led his family away from worship in the established church into dissent, and had become a 'Johnsonian' Baptist. They were a small sect, with one chapel in Wisbech and one in Norwich, which exchanged preachers, and it was this connection which probably drew Henry Trevor to Norwich, where Joseph Gray (PGPT158) was pastor of the Pottergate St chapel.
  
PGPT165 and 166
Date: 10th May 1842
Source: donated by Marion Trevor Coles, descendant

The lady is Elizabeth Gardiner, nee Trevor, sister of Henry Trevor, daughter of John Trevor (see PGPT164). The back of the photograph shows that it was taken in Wisbech, so she clearly stayed near her family home. She is holding a watch or medallion in her right hand, a book, probably religious, in her left.
PGPT167
Date: August 31st, 1898
Source: donated by Kath Barnard (see PGPT161)

Stanley Scott Trevor, shown here aged 13, was one of the 2 surviving grandsons of Henry Trevor, who benefited by their inheritance under his will. His mother was Eliza Trevor (PGPT162). His first career was as a farmer and cheesemaker, but after being badly wounded in WW1 he became a Registrar in Cheshire.

The inscription on the back of the photograph hashis name, the date and 'taken by Graham S. Gardiner, Wisbech'
PGPT168
Date: c1920 (?)
Source: the Page family album copy from an original owned by Bettine Page.

John Joseph Gray Page (1836-1929) was born in Gentleman's Walk to Wm and Mary (nee Gray) Page (see PGPT159). His middle names emphasised that he was the eldest grandson of Joseph Gray ( PGPT158). He became the stepson of Henry Trevor (PGPT106) but kept his original surname. He would have been 21 when the Trevor family moved into the Plantation.
He worked for his stepfather's furnishing business from the age of 14, was taken into partnership and, he said, spent 70 years in active business life with Trevor Page & Co.- as it became.
He married Emily Ellen Baldwin in 1865 and their family home was The Elms, Heigham Grove (PGPT010). They had 7 children, only one of whom, Sydney, worked in the business, and sadly he was killed fighting at Gaza. John was buried in the family vault in Earlham cemetery (PGPT337).
PGPT169
Date: 14th July 1892
Source: original poster in Norfolk Record office, copy in PGPT archive

This poster advertises 'An International bazaar and Garden Party' to be held in The Plantation 'through the kindness of Henry Trevor Esq.' in aid of the Y.M.C.A. Stalls represented goods from various countries (ivory from Bombay, Japanese wares, Spanish fans etc) with stallholders dressed in 'Native Costumes'. The Carrow band and fireworks were added attractions.

Points of interest: cheap trains from all over Norfolk, entrance cost 1s,  fashionable oriental decoration (advertising by the oriental merchants Bonsor at the bottom of the sheet?), tickets sold by Jarrolds etc.

An EDP report next day said 4000 attended in spite of bad weather.
PGPT170
Date: 1914-1919
Source: Page family album

During WW1 Trevor Page & Co produced propellers for aircraft made in Norwich. This photograph shows the workers of Trevor Page & Co, men, women and boys, posing with 2 propellers in the workshop. J.J.G. Page (see PGPT168) is sitting in the middle wearing a bowler hat. N.B. the young age of the boys in the front row.

61 men from the firm went to fight in the war, 10 of whom died. Every veteran who wished to return to the firm was re-employed, and the firm held the record in East Anglia for the number of discharged men they were training. (EDP 19.12.1919)
PGPT171
Date: c 1910-20(?)
Source: Page family album

Mr and Mrs J.J.G.Page (see PGPT168) in the garden of their home, The Elms, Heigham Grove (PGPT010). Their garden stretched through to Chester Place, which lies beyond the tall hedge behind them. An article in the EDP at the time of his funeral describes how 'he ever took the keenest interest in .....the pleasant and extensive gardens' of his home.
The trees in the background are in the grounds of The Plantation, and a path ran from The Elms across Chester Place into a back gate of The Plantation to allow easy communication between the Pages and the Trevors.
PGPT172
Date: 1890s
Source: as PGPT019

This detail of the Gavin photograph enables identification of some plants, e.g. Albizia and Ailanthus (tree of heaven) on the left.


PGPT173
Date: 1981
Source: photograph by volunteer

Editions of Ex Fonte from 1981 onward report  on the progress of excavating foundations, drains, paths and beds in the Palm House. Today the outlines are marked by flower beds with attractive planting schemes devised by Marj Wilson (see PGPT097 and History and Guide 2009 p31)
PGPT174
Date: 1998
Source: photograph in Trust archive

Prince Charles came to Norwich on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Norwich Society and visited the exhibition they had mounted in the Assembly house. The Norwich Society had, as part of their celebrations, contributed very generously to the construction of a replica of the rustic bridge (PGPT374) in the Plantation garden. The first guide book to the garden was published in 1998 and Sheila Kefford (facing camera), secretary-organiser of the Norwich Society, has here just presented a copy to the Prince.
  
PGPT175, 176
Date:1998
Source: as PGPT174

In PGPT176, on the right, The PGPT Secretary, Gretchen Mason, and Chairman 1995-2000, Elizabeth Bickerton, have been presented to Prince Charles.
  
PGPT177, 178
Date: c1898
Source: Boulton and Paul catalogue and modern photograph by volunteer

This conservatory was described as recently erected at Carrow House in the 1898 catalogue of Boulton and Paul, who also supplied the Palm House in the Plantation garden. The owners of Carrow House were the Colman family (of mustard fame). The photograph of the interior with its plants and furniture (see PGPT066), which Boulton and Paul also published, probably gives the best impression we can now have of the original appearance of the Plantation Palm house
    
PGPT179, 180
Date: 1990s
Source: photograph by volunteer

The conservatory at Carrow House and the splendid gates still stand.
fountain PGPT181
Date: 1980s
Source: photogaraph by volunteer Allan Sewell

In Ex Fonte no 1, 1980, there is a description of the state of the fountain and what needed to be done. This photograph illustrates the description: 'At a first glance the fountain appeared, almost more than anything else in the garden, to be in imminent danger of collapse.  Inspection by the builder member who is in charge of the work on the fountain, however provided a reassurance that, in fact, the basic and structural parts of the fountain are in a remarkably sound condition and the fears that the fountain is leaning to one side are groundless.'

Well done Henry Trevor! and well done the early volunteers who quickly set to work stabilising and restoring this structure which was immediately adopted as the icon for the PGPT.
fountain PGPT182
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by volunteer

The sycamores, ivies etc have been removed, the brickwork in the basin looks trim, and the contrast with PGPT181 shows how much work has been done. As yet there is no water to help the annual gathering of the frogs which arrive from all over the garden in March to produce the next generation!
PGPT183
Date:1990
Source: photograph by volunteer

This photograph appeared on the back cover of Ex Fonte no.12 1991, and was taken during an open Day in September 1990. At that time the garden was not open to the public on a daily basis; visits had to be on a Sunday, on an Open Day (spring and late summer) when teas were provided, as here, or by booking a tour at a pre-arranged time.

The fountain can be seen working. On Ex Fonte p3 it says that visitors were 'able to work the fountain by a coin in the slot mechanism'. That does not seem to have become a regular feature!
PGPT184
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by volunteer

Work on restoring the fountain continued throughout the 1980s. As in PGPT182, the brickwork of the basin is exposed and it has not yet been lined.
PGPT185
Date: 1990
Source: photograph by Allan Sewell, volunteer

This photograph of the top of the fountain seems to be one of a series marking the progress of work on the fountain. An article in Ex Fonte no.12 1991 p9 describes the repairs made to the top and installation of a pump.
PGPT186
Date: 1992
Source: photograph by volunteer

The plaque showing the date of construction of the fountain had disappeared by 1980 when restoration began. There were, however, several photographs which showed the original (PGPT137 etc) and so it was possible to have a reproduction made with the date 1857 copied in the original style, with the inscription added 'Stone 1992 replaced fountain restored'. The original plaque was probably terracotta and made by Guntons, like the 1856 chimney brick (PGPT366).
This reproduction was paid for by a generous donation by Bridget Elliott, given in memory of her aunts Ida and Sybil Bowers. They were the daughters of Richard Bowers (PGPT474).
PGPT187
Date: 1990
Source: photograph by volunteer

Like PGPT183, this photograph appeared on the back cover of Ex Fonte no.12 1991 and probably shows one of the jollities of an Open Day.
PGPT188
Date: 1940s/50s?
Source: donated by visitor

Date and subject not known. The interest lies in a further illustration of the original 1857 date plaque (see PGPT186 etc).
PGPT189
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by John Watson, volunteer

In 1980 the remains of this Doulton fountain were found on the lawn beside the Plantation house (cf PGPT014) and removed by John Watson for repair. This work has never been completed and to date (2012) what remains is still in store
(PGPT284).
There is some mystery about the history of this fountain. It was originally thought (Ex Fonte no.2 1981) that it had stood in the Palm House. However, in G.C.Green's album of stories about his father, George Green (see PGPT058-063) there is a sketch, clearly recognisable as this fountain, labelled 'Fountain added to the Plantation by Alderman Geo.Green'. What is more, in the photograph of the interior of the Carrow house conservatory (PGPT066) the fountain there looks identical to this one. So did George Green buy it from the Colman family, or purchase an identical model?
PGPT190
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by volunteer

In the 1980s there was continual work on restoring the fountain which had already become the iconic symbol of the PGPT (see PGPT181/2,184). There are reports in Ex Fonte throughout the 1980s of the progress of the work.
  PGPT191
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by volunteer

The brick construction of the fountain basin (see PGPT182,4) is being relined before filling with water.

PGPT192
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by volunteer

John Watson, shown here in typical form at work on the fountain, became an active member of the PGPT from its early days. He was Chairman 1983-1993 and was made Honorary President in 2003. Bruce Adam (Chairman 2000- 2007) wrote about John in Ex Fonte no.23 2003 and Allan Sewell wrote an obituary in the following issue.
John was an engineer and loved to take an active role in the repair and construction work in the 1980s as well as in all dressing up occasions!
PGPT193,194,195,196,197,198
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by volunteer (probably John Watson)

These photographs, taken during the restoration of the fountain, give details of its construction and workings which are not usually seen! See Ex Fonte no.12 1991 for John Watson's description of this structure
PGPT199
Date: c1990
Source: photograph by volunteer, probably Allan Sewell

In the 1897 auction particulars this structure is described as 'A handsome water tower, about 25' high, fitted with a shower spray, built of carved stone work, flints and architectural dressings, and supported on three columns, rising from a water basin, well stocked with fish, and planted with red and white water lilies and ferns.'

Gunton's moulded white brickwork, particularly notable in the 'windows' of the fountain, could already be mistaken for 'carved stone work'. Another 100 years of weathering has meant that that mistake is often repeated by today's visitors.
PGPT200
Date: 1980s(?)
Source: photograph by volunteer

This appears to show preparations for an event such as the one shown on the back cover of Ex Fonte no.5 1984 or no.9 1988 when a party was held with members dressed in Victorian costume.

 

 

  Archive Index  

The Plantation Garden Preservation Trust, 4 Earlham Road, Norwich, Norfolk.